Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Thick Fluffy Sourdough Pancakes


Ok, so I just got done making my second batch of these pancakes.
They are the best I have ever had.  Really.



My first batch, I decided to take a chance with whole wheat flour.
I thought, 'Man I'm going to hate these, but oh well.'

I remember being the pickiest 8 year old when it came to food and mom telling me she was making pancakes one day.  I brought up my plate and she plopped down a brown mass of buckwheat.  It scarred me for life. (Just kidding Mom. ;) )


So I decided to give it a shot one more time since I have never liked any of my other pancake recipes anyway.  The problem I've had is that they always seem to soak up all of the syrup and become this sugary sponge that feels like diabetes waiting to happen.
I hate that.

Well, these were so good I have made another batch, mostly whole wheat with some of my excess white flour starter.

Now, if you don't have a sourdough starter or need to learn more about it, I would recommend The Bread Geek.  She knows practically everything about it.




The good thing about sourdough pancakes is that your starter doesn't have to be in its prime.  It actually just reacts with the baking soda to make it extra fluffy.  Although if your starter has got that good sour flavor, it also gives them a slight tang, which personally I find even better.
  
This recipe does take some getting used to.  My first batch didn't go quite as smoothly being as how I'm used to a watery batter, but it is way worth it and much easier to flip without breaking.



I ended up with 8 pancakes (a few got larger the more hungry I became.)  They freeze really well and out of the toaster they still taste freshly made.

For all of this recipe and a few tricks, head over to Shannon's Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment